Master of Education Chinese as a Foreign Language
In addition to intensive training for advanced language and characters of the standard modern Chinese language, training of teaching skills is the focus of the 4-semester Masters’ program:
You benefit from our cooperation with different partners throughout the Chinese-speaking world with a voluntary exchange semester. We extend our curriculum through regular lectures and courses given by guest lecturers from around the world.
Our lecturers are specially trained to teach the Chinese language as a foreign language.
This graph shows the approximate distribution of the degree program content.
- Degree: Master of Education (M.Ed.)
- Standard period of study: 4 Semester
- Start of Programme: winter semester
- Admission: admission restricted (application with the faculty)
- Requirements: Bachelor degree in East Asian Studies/ Chinese as a Foreign Language (University of Göttingen) or completion of a sinological bachelor's degree which required a comparable language level and comparable foreign language didactic knowledge. Final grade of the Bachelor's degree of should be Minimum of 2.5. With a final grade of 3.5 applicants teaching ability can be tested in anadditional 30-minute oral exam.
- Language Requirements: knowledge of standard modern Chinese at the level B2.1 according to the Common European Framework, German (proof required)
- Application: Further information on the application and the respective deadlines for the MEd Chinese as a Foreign Language can be found in the pages of the Zentralen Einrichtung für Lehrerbildung (ZELB)
Content of the program
- Intensive language training: An intensive training in modern Chinese language in speaking and writingis offered. It is based on the language level of each corresponding BA program.
- Didactics: Mediation for Chinese teaching in Germany specialized in didactics of teaching Chinese as Foreign Language.
Structure of the study
The part of specialized academic studies consists of 29 credits in total, which students are required to attend and perform in these scientifically and didactically oriented modules: "Modern Chinese VI"; "Academic Chinese Didactics "; "Research Didactics of Chinese"; "Modern literary language II".
Students should enroll in the Master's degree module a study-related study or practical placement of at least six month in a country where Chinese is used as the official language.
Career Opportunities and Prospects
- Textbook Development / Publishing
- Translation and Interpretation
- tutor activities
- PhD in teaching Chinese as a foreign language or Chinese Linguistics
- Coach / Trainer
Further information on the application and the respective deadlines for the MEd Chinese as a Foreign Language can be found in the pages of the Zentralen Einrichtung für Lehrerbildung (ZELB).
Language of the program
The language of the program is German.