Dr. Armin Müller
Assistant Professor at the Institute of Sociology
I have been a postdoc at the Chair of Society and Economy of Modern China since 2015.
In 2008, I finished my studies of Political Science, Chinese Studies and Sociology at the University of Tuebingen. At the University of Duisburg-Essen, I wrote my PhD about health insurance in rural China, and subsequently spent a semester with the Transnational Studies Initiative at Harvard working on the social protection of migrants.
The focus of my research is on social security, education and other public services in the PRC.
Academic Work Experience
- Since 05/2015 Postdoctoral Research Assistant (Chair of Society and Economy of Modern China) University of Göttingen, Heinrich-Dueker-Weg 4, 37073 Göttingen (Germany)
- Applications for third-party funded projects
- Coordination of inter-departmental relations
- Teaching at BA and MA level
- Research on social policy, migration and vocational education in China
- 08/2014-03/2015: Postdoc (Transnational Studies Initiative) Harvard University, 1737 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138 (USA)
- Development of a conceptual framework for transnational social protection
- Research on social protection of Chinese migrant workers
- Research Assistant (Chair of Chinese Politics) University of Duisburg-Essen, Forsthausweg 2, 47057 Duisburg (Germany)
- Teaching at MA level
- Mentoring of Ph.D. students in the research training group “Risk and East Asia” of the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Independent research on social policy and vocational training in China
Education and Training
- 07/2014: Ph.D. in Political Science University of Duisburg-Essen, Forsthausweg 2, 47057 Duisburg (Germany)
- 10/2008: Magister (M.A. equivalent) in Political Science University of Tübingen, Geschwister-Scholl-Platz, 72074 Tübingen (Germany)
Research and Teaching Interests
- Social Policy and Health Policy in China
- Local Government and Central-Local Interactions in China
- International Relations and China’s Foreign Policy
- Global Social Protection and Social Security for Migrants
- Vocational Training and Social Stratification in China
- M.A. Seminar (28 hours) “State and Society in China”, summer semester 2013, University of Duisburg-Essen (co-taught with other lecturer)
- M.A. Seminar (28 hours) “China’s Foreign and Security Policies in the Context of East Asia”, winter semester 2013/14, University of Duisburg-Essen
- M.A. Seminar (28 hours) “State and Society in China”, summer semester 2014, University of Duisburg-Essen
- B.A. Course (28 hours) “Introduction to the Society of Modern China”, summer semester 2015, University of Göttingen (co-taught with a professor)
- M.A. Seminar (56 hours) “Social Policy, Social Security, and the Emerging Chinese Welfare Regime”, winter semester 2015/16, University of Göttingen + accompanying Chinese literature translation course
- B.A. Seminar (2 groups, 56 hours) “Introduction to Chinese Society”, summer semester 2016, University of Göttingen
- Müller, Armin: China’s New Public Health Insurance. Challenges to Health Reforms and the New Rural Cooperative Medical System. Routledge, Oxon, 2016.
- Heberer, Thomas; Müller, Armin: Chinas gesellschaftliche Transformation. Entwicklungen, Trends und Grenzen. (China’s Societal Transformations. Developments, Trends and Limitations). Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, Bonn, 2017.
- Müller, Armin: Functional Integration of China’s Social Protection. In: Asian Survey, 2017, 57:6 (forthcoming).
- Levitt, Peggy; Viterna, Jocelyn; Mueller, Armin; Lloyd, Charlotte: Transnational Social Protection: Setting the Agenda, Oxford Development Studies, 2017, 1.
- Müller, Armin: The Margins and the Marginalised: Social Policy, Labour Migration, and Ethnic Identity at the Peripheries of Chinese Society. In: Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 2016, 45, 2, 3-27.
- Müller, Armin: Hukou and Health Insurance Coverage for Migrant Workers: The Interdependence between the New Rural Cooperative Medical System and Household Registration in China. In: Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 2016, 45, 2, 53-82.
- Müller, Armin: Premium Collection and the Problem of Voluntary Enrollment in China’s New Rural Cooperative Medical System (NRCMS). In: Journal of Current Chinese Affairs 2016, 45, 1, 11-41.
- Stepan, Matthias; Müller, Armin: Welfare Governance in China – A Conceptual Discussion of Governing Public Social Policy Programs and the Applicability of the Concept to Modern China. In: Journal of Cambridge Studies 2012, 7, 4, 54-72.
Reports and Reviews
- Rezension von Terry Woronov: Class Work. Vocational Schools and China’s Urban Youth. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2016. In: The China Quarterly 2016, 226, 560-92.
- Müller, Armin: Innovation und Institutioneller Wandel im Gesundheitswesen der VR China (Innovation and Institutional Change in the Healthcare System of the PRC). In: 10. Schwerpunktausgabe: Innovation in China, ITB Infoservice 08/2015.
- Rezension von Boy Lüthje, Siqi Luo und Hao Zhang: Beyond the Iron Rice Bowl – Regimes of Production and Industrial Relations in China. Frankfurt, Campus, 2013. In: Asien 2015, 137, 137f
- Rezension von Arndt Michael: India’s Foreign Policy and Regional Multilateralism. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013. In: Asien 2015, 134, 203ff.