Do Hue Sang, MA
instructor and doctoral candidate and Study Advisor BA / MEd Chinesisch als Fremdsprache
Hue Sang Do obtained her M.A. degree in sinology (major), linguistics and teaching German as a foreign language (minors) from the Free University and Technical University of Berlin.
She previously taught German at Sun-Yatsen University, Guangzhou, and the Goethe Institute in Hong Kong as well as modern Chinese at the FU Berlin. She worked as a research assistant with Prof. Andreas Guder at the FU Berlin and Prof. Hansjörg Mixdorff at the Beuth Hochschule für Technik.
In 2013, she started her PhD studies at the Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, Hong Kong Polytechnic University (title of the thesis: “A corpus-based register analysis of public written Chinese announcements and notices”).
Her research interests include Chinese linguistics, corpus linguistics, register and genre studies, and second language teaching methodology.
Education and Training
- Since 2013: Ph.D. student at the Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2011-2012: Research assistant „European Benchmarking Chinese Language”, FU Berlin
- 2010-2011: Research assistant „CALL-Mandarin – Computer-assisted pronunciation training “, Beuth Hochschule für Technik
- 2010-2012: Lecturer for modern Chinese, FU Berlin
- 2008-2009: Lecturer for German, Goethe Institut Hong Kong
- 2007-2008: Lecturer for German, Sun-Yatsen University, Guangzhou
- 2007: M.A. in Chinese Studies (major) at the FU Berlin, title of thesis: Reading Chinese as a foreign language
- Do, H.S., Hussein, H., Mixdorff, H., Jokisch, O., Ding, H., Gao, Q., Wei, S. & Hu, G. (2012): Evaluation of Benefits from a Computer-Aided Pronunciation Training System for German Learners of Mandarin Chinese. Proceedings of Speech Prosody 2012, Shanghai, China.
- Hussein, H., Mixdorff, H., Do, H.S. & Hoffmann, R. (2011): Quantitative Analysis of Tone Coarticulation in Mandarin. INTERSPEECH 2011: 2041-2044, Florence, Italy.
- Hussein, H., Do, H.S., Mixdorff, H., Ding, H., Gao, Q., & Hu, G., Wei,S. & Chao, Z. (2011): Mandarin tone perception and production by German learners. SLaTE 2011: 149-152, Venice, Italy.
- Hussein, H., Mixdorff, H., Do, H.S., Wei, S., Gong, S., Ding, H., Gao, Q., & Hu, G. (2010): Towards a Computer-Aided Pronunciation Training System for German Learners of Mandarin – Prosodic Analysis. Proceedings of INTERSPEECH 2010 Satellite Workshop on “Second Language Studies: Acquisition, Learning, Education and Technology”, P2-2, Tokyo, Japan.
- Hussein, H., Mixdorff, H., Do, H.S., Wei, S., Gao, Q., Gong, S., Ding, H. & Hu, G. (2010): Development of a Computer-Aided Pronunciation Training System for Teaching Mandarin for German Learners – Pronunciation Errors. In Proceedings of the 21st Conference Electronic Speech Processing 2010, pp. 288-295. Studientexte zur Sprachkommunikation, Band 58, TUDpress, Dresden.
- Do, H.S. (2015). Chinese registers and second language reading: A corpus-based study of Chinese public written announcements and notices. 19th Biennial Conference of the Chinese Language Teachers Association of Germany, Austria and Switzerland, Göttingen, Germany, September 24 – 26, 2015.
- Do, H.S. (2015). The linguistic landscape as an additional source of input in Chinese language teaching: a corpus-driven study of written announcements in public space. 27th North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics. Los Angeles, USA, April 3 – 5, 2015.
Journal articles (peer-reviewed)
- Hou, R., Huang, C. R., Do, H. S., & Liu, H. (2017). A Study on Correlation between Chinese Sentence and Constituting Clauses Based on the Menzerath-Altmann Law. Journal of Quantitative Linguistics, 1-17.